The Research Group Service Enabling & Management (SEM) knows how to develop, implement and enable innovative (disruptive) services. Such services are based on innovations that create new markets, value and opportunities on top of infrastructures that are used in telecommunication, energy and defence. In the long term these services might displace existing markets and earlier (installed base) technologies. Moreover SEM designs the supporting processes and IT services to manage and preserve services.
The group has a unique knowledge position by the inclusion of the following strengths:
•Service Architectures: the department knows how ICT architectures for the enabling of services have to be designed with a clear separation of concerns to stakeholders;
•Service Management: the group knows how continuous service delivery (fulfillment, assurance and billing) has to be set up from a management perspective;
•Real-time system behavior: the group has unique knowledge of real-time system behavior and of real-time transport, storage and application of data;
•Distributed Energy Management: the group knows how to match (local) supply and demand of energy in a grid and design agent-based, distributed systems;
•Power Electronics: the department understands the technical details of electricity flow in networks.
You will be working in a team of ICT professionals on the latest IT-developments. You will be required to bring new IT technology trends to life in Proof of Concepts and example implementations for our customers. All your work will be project based and a mix of long term research and short term customer projects to apply the new technology at the customer premisses. Our portfolio consists of IT related Smart Grid technologies like PowerMatcher and FPAI (www.flexiblepower.org) and stretches out into the telecom domain with Internet of Things and Smart Cities. Of course the more traditional telecom services like messaging, voice and service management will also be part of the portfolio of SEM. The position will give you the opportunity to apply your skills and competences in different innovation projects for energy, telecom and defence related customers. In the projects you will develop and implement new concepts to improve existing infrastructures or develop new services to gain more control over telecom, energy and IT infrastructures. Your own contribution and pro-active input will be required to keep the team at the highest level and at the forefront of technology developments. Some examples of technology that we are working on are: agent technology (Powermatcher), distributed systems for Big data (Lambda architecture), Internet of Things and Control Algorithmes for power electronics (embedded systems). Your work ethics and communication skills should be on the highest level to share your research results with customers, colleagues and fellow researchers via papers, presentations and client meetings.
- B.Sc./M.Sc. in electrical engineering, computer science or equivalent. Preferably you will posses the combination of Software and IT architectures with Electrical Engineering skills;
- Experience in the areas of ICT, energy, or electrical engineering desirable, recent graduates are also welcome to apply;
- Understanding of the market dynamics in the energy sector is a plus;
- Advanced knowledge of network architecture of a power supply company;
- Knowledge of prototype development in new IT related technologies;
- Good communication skills and capability to explain complex software architectures and implementations;
- Willingness to switch between customer markets: energy, telecom and defence;
- Willingness to work in an international environment (Europe, Aruba, targeting South America); - Modelling knowledge in Matlab Simulink and knowledge on AI is seen as a bonus.
Please respond for closing date 16 July 2014. An assessment could be part of selection procedure.